10/26. We don’t have to burn the entire SC to hold Castillo accountable.I ‘ve had a full plate at work – and can’t get some solid time to write – but here are some talking points for discussion on the Del Castillo Plagiarism issue. The long and short of it is that del Castillo needs to be held accountable. But we should be responsible in prescribing the manner of how accountability is achieved.
- We are signatories to international IPR law – and failure to attribute or cite 3rd parties, in this case – is not a good thing
- I go with the dissenting opinion – re-issue the ruling of Vinuya.
- There is still a room for appeal – petition for judicial review – certiorari.
- The penalty prescribed by UP Law – resignation is way overboard. Thus, the SC note to UP Law.
- A more appropriate measure is to censure Del Castillo.
- A review of del Castillo’s rulings tend to show a pattern of patchwork plagiarism – if proven, Congress can have him impeached instead.
- The plagiarism issue is a demolition job to slowly unravel what is perceived as an the Arroyo holdover SC – it’s as clear as day.
- The plagiarism issue is just softening the ground – to clear the SC of Arroyo appointees and put in Aquino appointees.
- The correct solution is if Congressmen have issues with Corona – they should impeach him. But these weasels will not do that – because they all have pending cases in court. quid pro quo.
- The Aquino camp wants to create dissent and weaken the judiciary and eventually have full control of government.
- Will changing horses in the SC make any difference at this time? Different dogs, same sh*t. A MILLION REASONS anyone? (an inside joke among Philippine lawyers) 🙂
D. Horse Trading
- The Corona SC gave a warning shot on the HLI issue – note that Aquino stood down when the SC started going into the Land reform issue.
- The SC-HLI issue has quieted down.The plagiarism issue is being brought to the fore, since the SC has painted itself into a corner by mediating in the HLI issue – for good reason – A MILLION REASONS .
- If Aquino is not careful – there can be a repeat of Arroyo and Estrada – Corona will do a Davide on Binay.
It’s a thieves versus thieves war. Boils down to choosing which thief is yours. Yes, we are still damned 🙂
Going beyond the legalese – what this is a play to coopt the SC to stop checking Aquino and his merry men in Congress.
The best approach therefore is to:
- Faces come and go – the judicial system’s integrity needs to be shored up not torn down.
- Call for a review of the Vinuya case, and have the ruling re-issued.
- This is where UP Law School dropped the ball – call for censure but not resignation of del Castillo – within the context of the Vinuya case. If they are not satisfied then work to impeach Del Castillo.
The law may be hard, but it’s the law – let’s learn to follow – or if not satisfied, come up with better laws – better yet, choose darn good lawmakers so we don’t have to be in this ruckus in the first place.